March 1, 2013

Art Schmart

I've always had a lot of blank wall space partly because I can never find art I like and partly because when I do it is so dang expensive.  For some reason I've recently gotten the art bug...maybe it's because I'm getting older and would rather invest in art than nights out on the town partying.
 
 
I came across this painting on Etsy and love it so much that I showed it to Alex.  People have very specific preferences when it comes to art and to be honest, I have no idea what Alex likes...but I have learned to veer away from anything too feminine when it comes to home decor in general.
 
Anyway, I thought the colors were soothing and a landscape is pretty classic...the only problem?  I really want something horizontal and not vertical.  I mentioned that I might contact the artist to see if we could commission something like what I wanted and Alex brought up the fact that we live in a very artsy area and could probably find someone to do it around here.
 
The next day he showed the picture to a few of the girls he works with and one said she would do it and for an unbelievably cheap price...so cheap that there is no way I could pay her that little for something so pretty!  I'll let you know when we have the painting hanging on our wall!

 
This is a poster.  I still can't really decide how I feel about posters as opposed to original art, but I'm thinking that if it were framed right it could work.  I came across it on Michelle Armas' blog.  I've always loved her art and had no idea she lived in Atlanta.
 
I just really love how dark and moody it is and yet its also a little bit whimsical.

 
I'm going to figure out how to do something like this in our guest bathroom.  From experience I've learned its not the best idea to put a lot on the back of a toilet...this one looks large and flat but usually they're much smaller and curved so things just don't want to stay put.  I still think I could come up with a few essentials that would work though.
 
Mainly, especially since this is an art post, I wanted to call out the map.  I've been wanting a raised relief map of the area and a bathroom would be a good place to put it since it wouldn't have glass that would get fogged up between the art and the glass when people shower...I hate that.
 
The bad news is that it wouldn't get viewed all that often since we rarely use that bathroom, but I'm still considering it.

No comments:

Post a Comment