July 10, 2012

Southwest Potato Salad


Alex loves potato salad and all things spicy so I thought this sounded like the perf side for his birthday dinner.  It was my first time ever making potato salad and I have to say, I think it turned out pretty well.  I was serving a group of 15 and there was none left at the end of the night...but unless you are making it for a crowd I suggest at least halfing it.

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups prepared mayonnaise (I only used 1 cup because I didn't want it to be too mayonnaisey)
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (I used lemon juice because I forgot to buy limes at the store)
2 tablespoons chipotle pepper puree (I used 2 TB of chipotle seasoning...use less if you don't like spicy things...it def had some kick to it)
1 large ripe tomato, seeded and diced (left it out because it seemed like a weird thing to add to potato salad)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves (left it out because neither Alex or I like it)
3 scallions, chopped, white and green parts
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced (I used vidalia onion and minced it)
1/2 teaspoon cayenne (left this out since I used chipoltle seasoning and added a little smoked paprika instead)
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
16 new potatoes, about 3 to 4 pounds, cooked, drained and sliced 1/2-inch thick

Directions
Combine all the ingredients, except the potatoes, in a medium bowl and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Place warm potatoes in a large bowl and pour the mixture over potatoes and mix well. Season again with salt and pepper, to taste.



No comments:

Post a Comment